Sunday 13 November 2011

Chilli Jam

This Spring I planted some chilli, with a view to doing I-don't-know-what with the finished products! They're such a cheery plant to have in your home/on the balcony and are remarkably low-maintenance. Anyway, when the end of September came I needed to harvest my crop, so on went the wellies (to venture out onto my Inner London rooftop) and I managed to pick about 50 chillies from my 6 plants. So what to do with this? The Nigella recipe called for red chillies to make a lovely red glow, so I searched high and low for one which used green chillies. http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1217/spicy-chilli-jam.aspx AllRecipes saved the day (again). Next challenge: Pectin. Oh. My. Goodness! Why so hard to find? Finally managed to find a supermarket that sold it and off I went. I had such fun making the jam, and I love it. It works really well on burgers, sausages, with cheeseplates and savoury pies. I made a quadruple batch, so I have lots and lots of jars which are going to all sorts of lovely people as their Christmas presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment