Thursday 17 November 2011

Face Cake Party!

I know, I know, I'm rubbish at blogging. I promise to update more regularly in future. For now I'm going to share one of my favourite baking expeditions with you: the face cakes. It was the birthday of 2 of my colleagues, and they decided (in their quirky way) that they wanted some face cakes. They asked a few people to bake for them and nominated us each to make a particular celebrity cake. One girl was tasked with Mike Tyson, one was tasked with people in the office, and I was tasked with Gregg Wallace. They did ask for a buttery biscuit base, but I went instead for my never fail Vicky sponge (recipe in older blog post). Well, it might need to be renamed. Taking my inspiration from Duff Goldman, Ace of Cakes, I decided to bake the whole batter as a sheet cake and then carve it. Well, silly me, I didn't adjust the cooking time, and it sunk a wee bit in the middle but that wasn't the end of the world (Gregg Wallace totally has a concave face). While cake was cooling. I sketched out a template from a photo I found online:
Then came the fun bit. I used my Art GCSE which is something I wasn't sure I would use past the age of 20. I mixed up 4 or 5 different colours for the cake, including 3 flesh tones, rose for lips, brown for brows, blue for shirt... the hours I spent was just plain old fashioned commitment to a cause. Anyway, the below is the result.  
 Needless to say I was quite delighted by the amateurish success of it. I know he looks a bit stripey so maybe next time (yes, there might be a next time) I'll try fondant. He looked nothing like the template though:

The birthday boy and girl were thrilled, and got a great stash of cakes. Mine was clearly the tastiest, but see below for the Mike Tyson chocolate fudge cake, with actual fudge pieces. Also see if you can spot the Lady Gaga cupcake and the Krusty the Clown cupcake. The other cakes are all people from our office, so I won't bore you with the likenesses. A pretty good birthday spread if you ask me. Thankfully - our office is home to 100 hungry workers, and they all love cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment